The Mentorship of Paul & Timothy | EP. 120
“You can’t encourage the man across the table from you to read scripture if you are not also doing it.” // Garret Barbush
On EP. 120 Garret begins a conversation on the lessons learned from the mentorship of Paul and Timothy. This is one of the most impactful lessons on mentorship that we see in scripture. As we dive into 1 Timothy 4 we read about five lessons that Paul encourages Timothy with. Mentors, remember that you can’t encourage the man across the table from you to read scripture if you are not also reading scripture!
Adventure Awaits! If you are ready to take a step onto the mountain to know God and your purpose we want to talk to you! Click the link below, fill out the form and a representative from Men of Iron will follow up with you on your next steps. Men, it’s time to climb! >>> MENOFIRON.ORG/MOUNTAIN
- We will be talking about he mentorship of Paul & Timothy over the next few weeks
- “Train yourself to be godly.” // 1 Timothy 4:7 (NIV)
- “Command and teach these things. Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you.” // 1 Timothy 4:11-14 (NIV)
- “Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.” // 1 Timothy 4:15-16 (NIV)
- This is one of the most impactful lessons that we can learn about mentorship, from both the mentor and protege standpoint
- Paul’s advice to his protege Timothy:
- #1 – Train yourself to be godly
- #2 – Set an example
- #3 – Read scripture
- #4 – Preach and teach
- #5 – Don’t neglect, be diligent, give it your all
- Mentors, we can’t encourage proteges to do these things if we are not doing them!
- Proteges, we have to respond to our mentors encouragement.
- Men, do what you say you’re going to do