The Men of Iron Minute
by Chad Zueck | Director of Content Creation
The Big Idea – Self-improvement goals are only temporary until they align with your identity and purpose.
Improvements and goals are good.
So, why don’t we stay on track with those goals and improvements?
Short answer: They never become a part of us.
Recently, a member of our team damaged their car. After hitting something in the road, the tire blew, the tie rod bent and the alignment was way off!
They fixed the tire and drove the car home for twelve hours, fighting the alignment all the way home. When their hands were off the wheel, the car would careen off the road.
Similarly, when we make improvements that are not in alignment with who we really are, we fight it and usually give up way too soon.
Self-Improvement goals are only temporary until they align with your identity and purpose.
Here are a few examples:
- The goal is not to be mentored; the goal is the character that mentoring will develop.
- The goal is not to lose X amount of pounds; the goal is to become healthier.
- The goal is not to read the bible in a year; the goal is to become a mature disciple.
- The goal is not to read X number of books this year; the goal is to become a reader.
- The goal is not to go on date nights; the goal is to keep oneness in marriage.
Thomas Merton said, “To be born again is not to become somebody else, but to become ourselves”
This is what Paul was talking about to the church in Ephesus.
He spends three chapters reminding them who they are (Identity) and then reminds them who they are supposed to become (purpose). The purpose is rendered after their identity was revealed.
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24, NIV84
- Set goals based on who you are. They will stick around long enough to shape who you become.
- Become who you were meant to be, and you will be a better you.
Be a mentor.
Find a mentor.
Be a better man.
Contact our team today to find out how you can become a mentor, find a mentor and be a better man!