Legacy Building Feat. Blake Brewer | EP. 61
On EP. 61, Chad talks with featured guest, Blake Brewer. Blake is on a mission to help ONE MILLION dads write at least one well-written, meaningful, lasting Legacy Letter to their children. Blake lost his dad Larry, when he was 19 years old, in a swimming accident in Hawaii. His dad had just finished writing a “legacy letter” to his kids right before his death. Blake’s mom presented the letter to him a few hours after his dad’s death. His dad had planned to give him the letter on their trip to Hawaii
As CEO and founder of TheEndurance.org and the LegacyLetterChallenge.com, Blake’s mission is to empower fathers to connect with their children, lead their families, and run their God-given race with endurance.
Blake has 3 children, all under age 5. He absolutely loves being a father. As he leads his family and his children, he draws from many mentors, but none more important than his late father Larry.
“This process helped me organize my thoughts and feelings towards my children in a way I’ve never done before. Now my children have this letter they will cherish for the rest of their lives and it’s helped me become a better father.” – Legacy Letter Challenge Participant
“When a father speaks life into his child, amazing things happen.”
Takeaways From the Podcast:
- Our culture is becoming more self-centered. A hundred years ago, a thousand years ago, it was all about your family and how you were going to provide for your family.
- To build a solid family vision we need to look at what a good biblical vision for family is. Lean into your friends, other married men, and then draw your vision from that.
- Blake lost his dad Larry when he was 19 years old in a swimming accident in Hawaii.
- His dad had just finished a “legacy letter” to his kids right before his death. Blake’s mom presented the letter to him a few hours after his dad’s death. His dad had planned to give him the letter on their trip to Hawaii.
- “Here on earth you might be in the minority for your faith, but here in heaven you will be in the majority.” Larry Brewer in his legacy letter to Blake.
- I began to have this attitude of gratitude towards God that I had a good dad for as long as I did.
- “When you have a father in your life that is connected to God, you are more likely to have a relationship with God.”
- “When a father speaks life into his child, amazing things happen.”
- “God’s calling us to step up and initiate with our children.”